What is Certified Mail, How to Send USPS Certified Letter
When To Use Certified Mail
Certified Mail® is a special USPS service that provides proof of mailing via a receipt to the sender. With electronic USPS Tracking®, the sender is notified when the mailing was delivered or that a delivery attempt was made. Additional options like Return Receipt provide evidence of delivery in the form of a postcard signed by the recipient or an e-mail with an electronic copy of the recipient’s signature.
Stamps.com makes it easy to print Certified Mail® and the cumbersome forms. With Stamps.com’s built-in forms, there is no need to handwrite Certified Mail® forms any longer. Stamps.com stores all the info including Certified Mail® number and certified delivery date in an easily accessible and searchable database.
How to Print Certified Mail® Using Stamps.com
- Connect to Stamps.com to print Certified Mail®. Our free software (download here) connects you to your Stamps.com account where you can print Certified Mail®.
- Click on “Envelopes” from the left navigation bar.
- Select “Letters” as your Mailpiece type.
- Enter the weight of your mailpiece.
- Select your printable choice. From the “Printing On” list, select Stamps.com’s pre-formatted Certified Mail® envelope or form.
- Specify the required address information for your mailpiece.
- Select your mail class
Keep in mind that only First-Class® and Priority Mail® are options when you use a Certified Mail® form or envelope, and USPS regulations prohibit reusing forms already used for mailing.
- Choose additional services
At this point, you may select options such as Return Receipt and Restricted Delivery. Depending on your chosen services, unused portions of the form may contain the word VOID when printed.
Load the form into your printer, then click “Print Postage”.
We recommend you print a sample on a blank sheet of paper so you know the correct loading direction for the form.
Remember, the method of affixing the Certified Mail® form to your mailpiece will depend on any additional services you selected in Step 8. Pay close attention to the directions printed on the form to ensure you affix it properly to your mailpiece.